Subject: WD software
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ngai)
Date: 22 Jun 88 02:04:31 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc

There was a lot of interest in the Western Digital Ethernet card
software. There were also several offers to archive on an ARPAnet
site. However, that does not help the uucp people. I asked uunet if
they would archive but have received no answer yet. 

Therefore I will be posting the information. It was originally over
900K but that included some SCSI stuff. The Ethernet stuff was around
400K. After compression, it's about 250K.

As I have commented elsewhere, I think the arc series of programs suck
because they don't handle hierarchical filesystems. This WD data is a
case in point. Since there has been a PD PC tar posted, I felt free to
use tar. 

Here's what I did. I have PC-NFS linking my PC and my Sun so I am not
as conscious of up/download time as 1200 baud modem users might be,
but I think the final result can be done with only one transfer if you
have a PC tar. 

(on Sun)	tar cf wdpost.tar wdpost
(on PC)		pkarc -a wdpost.arc wdpost.tar

Here is what I think you would do to receive it:

pkxarc wdpost
tar xf wdpost.tar

-- 

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or [email-masked]